The Student News Site of Olympia High School

The Oracle

The Oracle

The Oracle

Team Bonding Leads to a Terrific Football Season

Kallista Ramos
Senior Romelo Ware

With a record of (8-2) and the title of District Champions, it was an extremely successful season for our Titans. We have worked our way through many wins and a couple losses to get to this point. But, it was the commitment and effort that both the players and coaches have put in that brought them closer as a team. This bond that they have created with one another creates a better environment to play in. 

“There are 8 classifications in the state of Florida. We are in the 4m classification, which has 4 regions, based on where you’re at on the map in Florida. We are in 4m, region 2, which contains both Orlando and Tampa teams. There are 8 teams in each region that go into the FHSAA playoff bracket. In all there will be 32 teams competing. Since we [were] ranked 3rd in our region and we won the district championship we automatically [were] selected to play in the FHSAA playoffs,” Coach Vernon Mitchell explained.

Senior Arden Payne-Tonge (Kallista Ramos)

Our Titans have put in immense work and time to get the opportunity to go to the playoffs. Major games at this level can have sudden setbacks, but our response to these setbacks are what’s most important. 

“Setbacks are things you can’t really control, so I feel like if we were to experience one during a game like a player getting injured or not being able to communicate with our players, we will work through it when it comes our way. I know our staff and coaches will be prepared if something were to happen. So I know that we will be able to get past any challenge easily if anything were to happen,” Coach Travis “Gabe” Gabriel says. 

For a lot of the players, this was their last chance playing with each other at Olympia’s football field, the Colosseum. 

“It feels surreal. It felt like yesterday we were competing day by day in the summer, prep[ping] for the season.” senior varsity football player Isaiah Deshommes stated.

Senior Isaiah Deshommes (Kallista Ramos)

The relationship that exists between teammates is something that outsiders cannot completely comprehend. The players spend every day together. From watching plays, practicing, eating, and competing, this has made the team nearly inseparable. Although we can watch every moment of their games, we don’t get to see the memories they have created with each other behind the scenes.  

“My fondest memory is when we beat DP in the regular season. After the game, Coach Gabe danced with us in the locker room,” senior varsity football player Romelo Ware stated.

“The team bonds so much, it’s not easy to pick one [favorite] memory. But if I had to pick, I would say the times we’d blast music and just dance around joyfully,” Deshommes said.

“My fondest memory of being on the football team is catching an interception and scoring a touchdown and my teammates running to me and celebrating with me. It made me happy. The touchdown got called back, but it’s still a touchdown in my books,” senior varsity football player Jaydon Libema expressed.

Senior Jaydon Libema (Kallista Ramos)

Throughout these past months, they have learned a lot with and about each other. They will take these lessons with them far into the future.

“I learned to always be early, don’t ever be just on time or late,” Ware said.

“Something I’ll take with me in the future is being able to cooperate and understand that my character has to be bigger than the situation going on,” Deshommes claimed.

“Something from the team I will take with me for the future is to always give effort and to do things with persistence even when it’s hard. I just always have to stay disciplined in doing what I have to do to be successful,” Libema explained.

There are many great teams that we have competed against this season. Although our season has come to an end, our Titans didn’t go down without a fight. Overall, we had a great season, and our Titans have put in so much effort and work that has really shown throughout these past games. We are so proud of them and congratulate them on their amazing season.