The Student News Site of Olympia High School

The Oracle

The Oracle

The Oracle

Congrats Andresly Sojo Garcia: Olympia’s MLK Youth Humanitarian

The celebration of Martin Luther King, also known as MLK Day, is a day to remember and credit the legacy of a man who fought for equality and justice. On this day we contemplate the progress we’ve made as a people and the work that still needs to be done. Mr. King sided with Rosa Parks in her trial that led to the famous Montgomery bus boycott; he also partook in multiple protests and marches, particularly the one that is most noted, which is the March on Washington.

The impact of Martin Luther King Jr. was significant in all parts of the world. He contributed to the overall success of the civil rights movement and to this day still has major effects on the issue. People celebrate this day by volunteering to help feed the homeless, mentor children who come from a life of struggle, and striving to make the community a better place. In the city of Orlando we celebrate through a huge parade is hosted downtown to honor MLK. This parade is a symbol of our commitment to continue fighting for this purpose to live in a more equitable world.

On Monday the fifteenth a parade downtown was happening to celebrate the life and legacy of Dr. King. One special Titan Andresly Sojo Garcia who was named Olympia’s Martin Luther King Jr humanitarian went to the parade and shared her experience on it. MLK Youth Humanitarians are youth that exemplify ideals embraced by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. through character and leadership (City of Orlando). 27 members are selected from each of the OCPS high schools as student members.

Sojo Garcia felt the award honored the legacy of MLK and brought the Orlando community together. “I got to see the community come out and it was an overwhelming amount of people and all. I love how lots of people showed and were able to perform and give to the community,” said Sojo Garcia.

January 15 will forever be remembered as the day of one of the fiercest fighters ever lived, Marting Luther King Jr.!