The Student News Site of Olympia High School

The Oracle

The Oracle

The Oracle

This club’s IMPACT is felt throughout campus

Jeryn James

Does finding community, cultural pride, empowerment, mentorship, and emotional well-being sound important to you? If that’s the case, a newer club on campus called “Impact” might be the club for you! Deciding to become involved in an affinity group is a pivotal point in many students’ lives. It provides students of color the opportunity to connect with African-American faculty and peers whom they can identify with and support each other in different areas of life.

So what exactly is Impact? Impact is a club created by African-American staff and students to celebrate cultures through the African diaspora and focus on who you are and who you can become. 

Jeryn James

“In this club, we strive to venture out into what is the African diaspora and learn more about the culture of more than just African Americans but more so the origin of it all. As the president, I try to listen to the interests of other members and organize guest speakers to come in and talk about the impact and origin being a person of color has on them,” senior J’nih James, president of Impact, said.

Throughout the year, Impact organizes many social events to spread the word and introduce new topics to others about the different African societies. Within the past year, they have hosted a February Black History Month Program filled with poetry and performing art pieces, a movie night recap, and an open mic night.    

Impact offers support to those who want to dive in and better understand culture. This club shows how the African diaspora has inspired and affected culture as well as history around the world. It also provides a safe space for peers to connect with those who have experienced similar challenges and that all come from the same background. Involving yourself in this can be very crucial, especially for students who are in a predominantly non-black learning environment.

Jeryn James

“We are like a family. We have a warm welcoming environment. You’ll make friends while also getting to plan fun events such as movie nights, our Black History Month Showcase, and much more to come,” junior Nilajah Crawford, vice president of Impact, said.

This club helps African Americans and many others celebrate and praise black history, achievements, and cultures. Joining can help you create lasting memories, promote personal growth among students of color, and gain a sense of belonging! Don’t be afraid to check out this newer club on campus, where you too can join to celebrate who you are and who you can become, creating and leaving your Impact!