The Student News Site of Olympia High School

The Oracle

The Oracle

The Oracle

The Colors of Hispanic Heritage: A Vibrant Celebration

From September 15th to October 15th, Hispanics from many countries gather to celebrate and appreciate the culture and achievements of each specific region. Some people are unaware of how much this community has contributed and shaped American society. This is a very important month that honors our Hispanic community in many different ways. 

From A Week To A Month

In June 1968, California Congressman George E. Brown suggested Hispanic Heritage Month as a festive week. Throughout the 1960s, when the civil rights movement was at its strongest and there was a growing awareness of the United States’ diverse identities, the push to honor the achievements of the Hispanic minority gained traction. Hispanic Heritage Month coincides with the celebrations of the independence days of many Latin American countries. The date was chosen in accordance with the Independence Day celebrations of five of President Lyndon B. Johnson’s “Central American neighbors,” namely Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua. The five nations declared independence from Spain on September 15th, 1821.

Growing Community

Latinos are advancing communities around the country as small business owners, veterans, teachers, and public servants, among many other occupations. Hispanic Heritage Month allows us to celebrate their accomplishments and contributions to our country’s history.

Many members of the staff at Olympia agree with this remark. More than a lunch lady, but the heart of our school, Marie Colon is a Puerto Rican cafeteria worker at Olympia High School. “It allows me to recognize the achievements and contributions of my ancestors’ story,” Colon said. World History teacher and soccer coach Raymond Bornacelli is a Cuban and Colombian staff member. “We should recognize and honor our heritage,” Mr. Bornacelli said.

Marie Colon
Raymond Bornacelli

Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month

There is no one-size-fits-all Latino or Hispanic experience, and there is no one-size-fits-all manner to commemorate Hispanic Heritage Month. People utilize this holiday to demonstrate the importance of Hispanics in the United States by donating to Hispanic charities, consuming food from any of the countries being honored, learning about their cultures, and celebrating notable Hispanics who have made an impact on society. 

“My favorite food from Puerto Rico is pasteles y bacalao with verdura,” Ms. Colon said. “Out of all of my countries’ food I would definitely have to go with rice, black beans, and pernil,” Mr. Bornacelli said. These foods are just some out of many from a variety of hispanic countries. 

Another way to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month are festivals. There is a Latin Soul festival hosted in Oak Grove Regional Park, where there is live music, food trucks, and much more. This is a way for families to gather to celebrate and honor their culture together. Many families throw parties or reunions to celebrate. Every year, Orange County announces events planned to celebrate for this year’s Hispanic Heritage Month. 

Hispanic Heritage Month is a platform for these different Hispanic cultures to celebrate and honor the achievements of their ancestors. You can celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month by supporting a local hispanic owned business, donating to hispanic charities or churches, and also by listening or watching Spanish podcasts or shows. Hispanic Heritage Month is a reflecting moment for all to look back on and appreciate the history and achievements behind the journey of Hispanic Americans.

Works Cited:

National Hispanic Heritage Month | White House Initiative on Advancing Educational Equity, Excellence, and Economic Opportunity for Hispanics, https://sites.ed.gov/hispanic-initiative/national-hispanic-heritage-month

“Facts about U.S. Latinos for Hispanic Heritage Month.” Pew Research Center, 23 September 2022, https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2022/09/23/key-facts-about-u-s-latinos-for-national-hispanic-heritage-month/. Accessed 19 September 2023.