The Student News Site of Olympia High School

The Oracle

The Oracle

The Oracle

Education for All, One Day at a Time

Gardyth Bien-Aime

Education is one of the most important pillars of society and builds fundamental thinking that we use each day. Wednesday, January 24, 2024, will be the sixth year that the International Day of Education is celebrated. This day was created by the United Nations as a way to bring attention to how important education is to us and to “ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all” by 2030, as stated by the United Nations. This holiday was built off of one of the sustainable development goals (goals that the United Nations created for all countries to reach by 2030 to reach a fulfilled society), which is quality education for peace and development. Without education, we can’t reach important developments and achieve societal changes. We interviewed three teachers about this holiday and the importance of education, let’s hear their thoughts!

How does this holiday affect our students and teachers?

Camala Reid – Computer Science & Digital Design Teacher

How do you feel you’ve made an impact on your students?

“I start with the atmosphere of my classroom. I make it so that it’s fun, but I also have a routine. It isn’t a strict environment because I want them to look forward to being here. I try to build relationships with them and get to know them. I also try to help with delivering content to how they learn it.  And I try to interact with them and establish rapport with them so that they look forward to being in the classroom and doing their work.”

How have you seen your impact on your students (whether former or current)?

“When students walk up to me and say “ I enjoy your class”, they show that they love learning and being in my class and learning there. When a student goes to my class and seeks your advice, they feel like they can confide in me or if they even remember my name or say “Hey Mrs. Reid!” I know that I did my job.”

As a teacher, what have you done to ensure that your students are successful?

“I teach life lessons to my students so that they can learn them, not everything has to be academia. I do so in terms of teaching them skills like creating their schedule. It teaches them how to apply what I’m teaching them in their everyday life. Building relationships and providing feedback also helps, along with providing constructive criticism. You know Rome is not built in a day,  you have to do your work and find another way. It’s not about the teacher only, you have to play your part. If you don’t participate, you aren’t doing anything. So doing all of that and changing to their needs and just being flexible so that they reach my standards.”

Based on what you know or have been told about the holiday, what would be a takeaway that you want teachers and students to know about the holiday and how important it is for us (in other words, how important education is or how we take it for granted, etc.)?

“For the holiday, education is my priority and super important. I also say school is [like a] job [for students], treat it as a 9-5 and it will return back to you. My philosophy is that it’s better to have a bachelor’s or master’s degree and not use it than to have a job that you want that requires it. When it comes to education, I would say that in a world of social media, in a world where there’s an easy way to make money. It’s important to be educated. Being educated means something. It means that we have not abandoned schools. We need to ensure our youth are educated.”

Jaclyn Costello – APEX Biology honors and Biomed Teacher

“I think I’ve made an impact by building relationships with students and by getting to know them, not only in class but also outside of class.”

“I think I’ve seen my impact on my students when they come back to my class after I taught them. I love it when a student comes back and they have grown and developed into awesome people.”

“Some things that I’ve done include being open to questions and answering them when a student has one. I believe in reviewing and providing all the resources to ensure that a student is successful.” 

“I think a lot of teachers get lost in the teaching and they forget the big picture, which is ensuring that the future generations are going to be better than the current one.” It’s teachers that instill that and provide that resource and ensure their success.”

Niamh Davies – Algebra 2 Teacher

“I try to make their day a little brighter, but my goal is also to deepen their understanding of algebra and to help them learn it so that they can be successful in the future.”

“Former students come back and they talk to me about many things like the SAT, especially for the math section, or their PERT exam. Or maybe they came to talk to me about how they passed their test for Precalculus with my help. With my current students, I normally see their growth with their understanding of math and as a student.”

“I try to sit down one-on-one with my students and I also do after-school tutoring. I try to make sure that I’m available for them.”

“Every day you get to be in school is a gift because [some] other countries don’t have the opportunity we do. We should look forward to school every day and put our best foot forward.”

Works Cited:

“International Day of Education | United Nations.” the United Nations, https://www.un.org/en/observances/education-day. Accessed 17 January 2024.