The Return of Friday Night Lights

The Return of Friday Night Lights

The music from the band fills the stands, serenading our ears. The uniforms show our black, white, and teal Titan pride. Crowds file in as the time ticks, waiting to see our players on the field. The Friday Night Lights shine bright, not just on the game but also on the memories, ambitions, and excitement happening in just one night. And these are just some of the elements that go into making the experience that is FNL. This Texas-rooted term has significantly impacted Floridian culture as we approach the new football season. The tradition of Friday Night Lights is concentrated around high school football games where parents, students, faculty, staff, and many more from all different schools come to rally and cheer on their team. 

With the liveliness everybody is anticipating, the crowds are pumped to enjoy what will be a good game. But how do the people who take part in making the magic that is Friday Night Lights feel? 

Senior starting running back, Romelo Ware is looking forward to the upcoming season. 

“I feel like we should win state as long as we are locked in and keep this winning streak going. I don’t really feel any [pressure] because I put in the work every day and am ready to go out there and safely ball out with my teammates,” Ware said. 

“We all know football can be a dangerous but exciting sport with all the swift moves, rough tackles, and trick plays thrown at them. But, I have faith in our Titans and know with the support of our coaches and athletic training staff this is going to be a great football season,” Coach Travis Gabriel said.

The athletes have to make sure their health is maintained because of the weekly games they strive to excel at. But they wouldn’t be able to do so if it wasn’t for our athletic training staff. The training staff here at Olympia aids the football team in whatever medical needs they might have had prior or encountered during this season. Becoming a student athletic trainer requires learning new protocols, especially for football, in order to be ready for the big night on Friday. With the aggressive nature of the sport, caring for our Titans is a priority for the trainers. 

“Sometimes there is pressure on making sure you are really paying attention to details during a game and doing things quickly, because the game is such a fast pace and anything can happen. But we’ve been working hard and learning new things in a great environment, so I’m excited to see how the rest of the year goes!” Brianna Mercado, a junior athletic trainer, said.

A lot goes into these special Friday nights and while so much is happening during the four quarters we can’t forget about what happens in between- the amazing halftime show put on by the Titan marching band and color guard. Watching the band put on a great show during halftime entertains the fans while we wait for the game to continue and energizes the players as they get ready to go into the second half. This specific piece, along with the overall performance solidifies Friday Night Lights as a high school tradition.

While watching the players, we can’t forget where the excitement all starts- in the crowd. FNL is about more than just the game at hand, during these times the crowds all come together; and the stands become a meeting ground, creating a unique atmosphere. The rivalries between the two teams are extremely high tension. Everybody wants to win and maintain the expected sportsmanship. A big part of helping the Titan football team succeed is hearing the support from the crowd. Here at Olympia, 6th Man has the job of supporting the Titans at every sporting event, especially on Friday nights. 

“The best part is being in the front row, hyping up everyone, and creating unforgettable memories that everyone will remember. My absolute favorite part is when we score a touchdown. Even if you’re not into football, that moment brings out the loudest cheers and everyone celebrates our team’s achievement together,” senior Maria Uchoa, 6th Man president, said.

These nights are more than just a football game and fun. This tradition embodies an unbelievable experience that will never be forgotten. What happens on these nights is something like magic, with the sun setting on a Friday afternoon, and watching the stadium lights turn on and shine. With so much going on in this constantly moving world, this everlasting tradition will always remind us of the unity we all have when we come together on Friday Night Lights.

View Comments (3)
Donate to The Oracle

Your donation will support the student journalists of Olympia High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.